Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Working 24/7 At 50




Anil Kapoor, who turns 50 today, talks about his role in the American television series, 24, that has been extended by six episodes

By Subhash K Jha

Anil Kapoor, who turned 50 today, is on a roll. His role in the American television series, 24, which premieres in New York on January 14, has been extended from 10 to 16 episodes.

Confirming the boost, Anil says, “Initially, I was under contract for only 10 episodes. Then seeing the way my role developed, they decided to feature me in six more episodes.

I must say I was as happy with the whole experience as I was with Slumdog Millionaire.” Anil laughingly recalls how many people advised him against doing American television.

He says, “I was also advised not to do Slumdog Millionaire. Can you imagine how I would feel right now if I had turned it down?

If I see 2009 as the best year of my life, it’s partly because of Slumdog… Then, of course there was Aisha, my two daughters’ gift to me.

It isn’t my gift to them, but their gift to me. While Sonam plays the lead, Rhea is producing Aisha.

I hope my children have imbibed the values that I grew up with. I am very proud of my three children.

They are all doing well for themselves. My son Harshvardhan is enjoying his student days, just like I did at his age.”

Anil is now gearing up to take on more international projects but on his own terms. Anil elaborates, “I won’t do the stereotypical Indian characters in American films.

I am very clear that I won’t play Indian characters in international projects unless they are really special. I have told my agent to seek out parts that are not culture-specific but have character.

In 24, I play a Middle Eastern character. I am now waiting to see how audiences react to it.

I have always believed in doing all kinds of work. I think variety is a very strong incentive for growth.”

The actor does not rule out working with Danny Boyle again after Slumdog Millionaire. Anil says, “Yes, Danny has gone on record to say we are working together and we will.

As soon as we both have time. At the moment I am not signing anything new until I am sure of what to do next.”

Meanwhile, Anil is excited about the premiere of 24 in New York. He says, “I am flying down to New York on January 12 for the premiere.

In fact, all through the shooting of the series, I have been flying in and out of India and the USA. At one point, I thought I wouldn’t be able to do Anees Bazmee’s No Problem because I was committed to do 24.”

“I even spoke to Mr Bachchan about my role. Finally, I did manage both, thanks to Anees’ co-operation.

I must say doing 24 and No Problem side by side was quite a cultural and continental shuffle,” Anil added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment